Sign In
  • Question

    Who is considered an "authorized representative" for the CO as referenced in FAR 52.232-7? For T&M contracts, is "authorized representative interpreted (1) only as a COR or GTM? Or (2) any government employee as long as a designation is made by the CO in writing?


    Based on the FAR references supplied below, and DOD Financial Management Regulation Volume 10, Chapter 10 paragraph 100302, the Contracting Officer is the Procuring Contracting Officer (PCO).  The PCO delegates all administrative functions as they determine necessary, and this is done in writing. The PCO may delegate or authorize “IN WRITING” any government employee they deem appropriate based on Technical background, competency, experience or capability.  

    FAR 2.101  “Contracting officer” means a person with the authority to enter into, administer, and/or terminate contracts and make related determinations and findings. The term includes certain authorized representatives of the contracting officer acting within the limits of their authority as delegated by the contracting officer. “Administrative contracting officer (ACO)’’ refers to a contracting officer who is administering contracts. “Termination contracting officer (TCO)” refers to a contracting officer who is settling terminated contracts. A single contracting officer may be responsible for duties in any or all of these areas. Reference in this regulation (48 CFR Chapter 1) to administrative contracting officer or termination contracting officer does not—
    (1) Require that a duty be performed at a particular office or activity or
    (2) Restrict in any way a contracting officer in the performance of any duty properly assigned. 
     FAR 2.101 “Contracting officer’s representative (COR)” means an individual, including a contracting officer’s technical representative (COTR), designated and authorized in writing by the contracting officer to perform specific technical or administrative functions.

    FAR 42.302 -- Contract Administration Functions.  (a) The contracting officer normally delegates the following contract administration functions to a CAO. The contracting officer may retain any of these functions, except those in paragraphs (a)(5), (a)(9), (a)(11) and (a)(12) of this section, unless the cognizant Federal agency (see 2.101) has designated the contracting officer to perform these functions.
    DOD Specific  Guidance Follows:
    However, the word "voucher" has a strict meaning and connotation. Vouchers are requests for payments on Cost Reimbursement (CR) type contracts.  COR's are only allowed to view vouchers for CR contracts for accuracy (e.g. skill mix, labor hours, bill of materials, travel, etc.) they are NOT allowed to approve vouchers.  The same holds true for invoices on T&M and Labor Hour contracts, the COR can view for accuracy but NOT approve.
    This guidance comes from the DOD Financial Management Regulation Volume 10, Chapter 10 paragraph 100302, which reads:
    �� 100302. Cost Reimbursement Type Contracts. Cost reimbursement type contracts provide for payment of allowable incurred costs, to the extent prescribed in the contract. These contracts establish an estimate of total cost for the purpose of obligating funds and establishing a ceiling that the contractor may not exceed (except at its own risk) without the approval of the contracting officer.
    A. The Defense Contract Audit Agency (DCAA) has sole authority for verifying claimed costs and approving interim payment costs under cost-reimbursement, time and materials, and labor-hour contracts. Contracting Officer’s Representatives (COR’s) shall not be delegated authority to approve these types of payments. The COR’s may review contractor billings, but are expected to coordinate with DCAA when any cost verification of data is necessary in support of their surveillance responsibilities. Therefore, DCAA approves interim payment requests, the Administrative Contracting Officer (ACO) approves the final payment request, and the COR’s coordinate with DCAA if any cost verification is needed. 

    You should check to see if there are any applicable State Department policies that speak to this.


    Open full Question Details