Sign In
  • Question

    I'm a retired Army Officer considering accepting a position with a contractor flying dod Missions in Afghanistan and my wife would like to live in Italy while I am working in Afghanistan. Can she use base facilities commissary, exchange, etc) while she lives in Italy?


    Interesting question; not really our area of expertise but we’ll do the best we can.  Living in Italy… we are envious here at AAP.
    Here goes, if you are a retired Army Officer then DoD issues eligible dependents and other eligible individuals a distinct identification card (ID) authorizing them to receive Uniformed Services benefits and privileges.  Dependents of active duty and retired service members receive a tan colored ID Card (DD Form 1173); this should make them eligible to use DoD Installation Facilities around the world.  It may be wise to check with your retirement servicing personnel office and of course AAFES and DECA to verify that.
    Note: there is a very small possibility, but highly unlikely, (bold italics added for emphasis) that the government furnished life support (GFLS) authorizations in the contract might address these types of authorities.  You would have to ask your potential employer what those are because they are contract specific.
    When determining what GFLS contractor employees will/should be eligible for DoD follows the guidance at DFARS 225.371 and the associated PGI 225.371. They work with the respective Combatant Commander when determining GFLS for contractor personnel performing in their Area of Responsibility.

    Open full Question Details
Chat with DAU Assistant
Bot Image