Sign In
  • Question

    How does one find a legitimate price the government will accept for old government furnished parts for which there is no origination paperwork, or which were gleaned as part of a tear down and the component part number is not in Haystack?


    You are already using Haystack, which pulls from the Federal Logistics Information System (FLIS) and information from service systems. The only other resources that I am aware of are those controlled by the Defense Logistics Agency. They are Public LOG FLIS ( and FED LOG ( You would have to request a Government Contractor FED LOG Subscription. Sponsorship from your Procurement Contracting Officer (PCO) is required. However, using those resources will most likely yield the same results as Haystack. You’ve probably already tried searching the Internet for the part numbers. Try looking for the manufacturer name or Commercial and Government Entity (CAGE) code on the actual parts. If you find that information you may be able to contact them directly to make an inquiry. Checking for similar nomenclatures/descriptions in lieu of a part numbers may also be helpful.  Some of the items may include a Unique Item Identifier (UII) that you can search for in the Item Unique Identification (IUID) Registry.

    We suggest that you speak with your property administrator to determine what is considered a reasonable effort to locate the unit acquisition cost of each item. Perhaps in instances where reasonable effort to locate the unit acquisition costs have failed, the property administrator will accept your best estimate.  What is considered a reasonable effort may vary depending on whether the items will be consumed in performance of the contract, submitted on an inventory disposal schedule, or scrapped in accordance with your written property management procedures. 

    Open full Question Details
Chat with DAU Assistant
Bot Image