Sign In
  • Question

    Does an agency have to have R&D fund appropriations in order to take advantage of a CRADA since the government entity doesn't provide funds? Does an agency have to designated a federal laboratory to enter into a CRADA?


    This response is based on the information provided.  We suggest you discuss with your contracting team, program manager and/or legal department as appropriate.


    Cooperative Research and Development Agreements (CRADAs) are written agreements between one or more federal laboratories and one or more non-federal parties under which the government, through its laboratories, provides personnel, facilities, equipment or other resources with or without reimbursement (but not funds to non-federal parties).  The non-federal parties provide personnel, funds, services, facilities, equipment or other resources to conduct specific research or development efforts consistent with the mission of the laboratory.  CRADAs are authorized by 15 U.S.C. 3710a. The governing regulation is AR 70-57, Military-Civilian Technology Transfer, dated 26 February 2004.


    When a CRADA is Appropriate:

    CRADAs provide an easy way to collaborate with the U.S. Army Combat Capabilities Development Command Army Research Laboratory. CRADAs allow CCDC ARL researchers to exchange technical expertise with non-federal partners, and to accept reimbursement for research conducted under the CRADA.  CRADAs also protect a researcher’s rights and those of CCDC ARL to inventions the researcher may make.  CRADAs are appropriate when ideas, staff, materials, and equipment are to be exchanged over a period of time for the purpose of collaboration and/or an invention may result.  Funds may be provided to CCDC ARL under a CRADA.


    Who May Participate in CRADAs:

    CRADAs must involve at least one non-federal party. In addition to ARL scientists, the other participants in a CRADA may be one or more of the following:

    •Private corporations (U.S. or foreign)

    •Nonprofit and not-for-profit institutions (U.S. or foreign) •State and local governments (U.S.) •Other federal agencies (U.S.)


    We cannot fully answer your question without understanding the nature/intent of the agreement/effort.  You refer to AR and VR.  Those terms can mean numerous things (audio/visual, actual/virtual etc.).

    Is the nature of the project to enhance/improve something NATO presently does?  Who is the primary beneficiary of the work? Are we correct in concluding laboratories (we assume in Europe) are interested in working with NATO to fund the project and gain access to NATO brainpower?  From the background, we gather that the requirement owner has a specific outcome in mind.

    If the requirement owner is trying to fulfill a mission requirement and using appropriated funds to do so, a CRADA is not likely an appropriate vehicle.


    Open full Question Details
Chat with DAU Assistant
Bot Image