Product Support and Sustainment Awards
DAU GLOSSARY DEFINITION
This article provides a consolidated listing of DoD Product Support, Logistics, and Sustainment awards and recognition.
The DoD has long recognized outstanding performance and excellence in delivering affordable readiness to our warfighters, by both individuals and organizations across a range of product support, sustainment, logistics and maintenance activities. The benefits of such programs include recognizing superior achievement, fostering innovation, incentivizing excellence, fostering pride and professionalism, rewarding outstanding performance, encouraging quality and continuous improvement, and enhancing awareness.
The primary individual and organizational annual DoD-level awards of interest to the DoD life cycle logistics and product support manager communities. Intended to recognize outstanding performance across the DoD logistics, product support, sustainment, maintenance, supply, materiel readiness, and DMSMS enterprise include:
- Secretary of Defense (SECDEF) Gerald R. Beck Memorial Performance Based Logistics (PBL) Award recognizes organizations responsible for outstanding achievements in PBL strategy development, implementation and execution in the System Level and Subsystem (including subassemblies, components, products and services) Level categories. Information, including all previous winners from 2005 inception to the present are both available at this link. This award is managed by the Office of the Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Product Support (OASD(PS).
- SECDEF Product Support Manager (PSM) Award recognizes outstanding product support in delivering weapon system readiness affordably and effectively to our Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Marines. Information, including all previous winners from 2013 inception to the present are available at this link. This award is managed by the OfASD(PS).
- Defense Acquisition Workforce (DAW) Awards recognize the top acquisition professionals and organizations in the DoD in five categories: The David Packard Excellence in Acquisition Award, the DAW Individual Achievement Awards, the DAW Development Innovation Award, the Flexibility in Contracting Award, and the Software Innovation Team Award. For our community, the DAW Individual Achievement Awards include a Life Cycle Logistics (LCL) category. These awards are managed by the Office of the Secretary of Defense for Acquisition and Sustainment (OASD(A&S) Human Capital Initiatives (HCI).
- SECDEF Maintenance Awards Program recognizes the DoD’s most outstanding military maintenance organizations in four categories: The Phoenix Award for Field-Level Maintenance, the Robert T. Mason Award for Depot Maintenance Excellence, the Sustainment Training, Advice, and Assistance of Foreign Military Forces (FMS) Award, and the Rear Admiral; Grace M. Hopper Award for Software Maintenance Excellence. These awards are governed by DoD Instruction (DoDI) 1348.30 and are managed by the Office of the Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Materiel Readiness (ODASD(MR).
- DoD Award for Supply Chain Excellence honors organizations that have made exceptional progress through innovative development or adoption of best supply chain practices. It also provides a showcase for innovative management and technology tools being used to improve supply chain efficiency and effectiveness to enhance support to the warfighter. This award is managed by the Office of the Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Logistics (ODASD(L).
- DoD Packaging Innovation Excellence Award and Packaging Production Achievement Award honors outstanding teams and/or individuals in the DoD packaging community who contribute significantly to the packaging effort by developing new packaging processes, and improving productivity and efficiency throughout the DoD. This award is managed by the ODASD(L).
- DoD Diminishing Manufacturing and Material Shortages (DMSMS) Program Achievement Awards recognize government individuals and organizations who have made significant accomplishments through proactive and robust DMSMS management and implementation in three categories: Individual Achievement, Team Achievement, and Lifetime Achievement. This award is managed by the Defense Standardization Program Office (DSPO).
Several related Service product support, logistics, and sustainment recognition programs of potential interest also include:
- Department of Navy (DON) Admiral Stan Arthur Awards for Logistics Excellence (OPNAV Instruction 5305.8D)
- Air Force Special Trophies and Awards
- Air Force Materiel Command (AFMC) Depot Maintenance Management of the Year Awards (AFMCI 36-2817)
- Army Acquisition and Sustainment Awards
See also “Incentives - Motivating Achievement of Desired Product Support Outcomes” ACQuipedia article for additional information on the subject of incentivizing outstanding performance within the product support and sustainment arena. Additionally, see DAU LOG Blog posts entitled "Tips for Writing an Winning Award Nomination Package" and "Writing an Award Winning Nomination Package (Pt. 2)" for insights into crafting an award-winning submission.