Implementation Directive for Better Buying Power 2.0
All members of the Defense Acquisition Workforce should have received a Defense Acquisition Workforce Bulletin e-mail earlier today entitled “Implementation of Better Buying Power 2.0.” and containing a copy of the USD(AT&L) April 24, 2013 memorandum, "Implementation Directive for Better Buying Power 2.0."
We will be highlighting several areas of particular interest from the memo itself as it relates to the Life Cycle Logistics and Product Support Manager communities in this blog in the coming days, but for now, wanted to highlight the e-mail itself, as well as a presentation tomorrow by the Honorable Frank Kendall, USD(AT&L) on this subject. The e-mail itself, for those of you who for whatever reason did not receive it, read:
“On Thursday, April 25, from 1:00-2:00 pm, the Honorable Frank Kendall, USD(AT&L), will discuss the implementation phase of Better Buying Power (BBP) 2.0 with an audience of acquisition professionals at the Defense Acquisition University at Ft. Belvoir, Va. In doing so, he will re-emphasize key enduring acquisition principles, provide guidance on evolving best practices, and outline new approaches toward continuous improvement in both product and services acquisition.
The implementation of BBP is detailed in Mr. Kendall's April 24, 2013, memorandum, "Implementation Directive for Better Buying Power 2.0". This memorandum outlines specific guidance on how the workforce can realize greater efficiency and productivity in defense spending and provide more affordable capabilities to our Warfighters. It expands on the seven focus areas of BBP 2.0, which are:
1. Achieve affordable programs;
2. Control costs throughout the product lifecycle;
3. Incentivize productivity and innovation in industry and Government;
4. Eliminate unproductive processes and bureaucracy;
5. Promote effective competition;
6. Improve tradecraft in acquisition of services; and
7. Improve the professionalism of the total acquisition workforce.
Mr. Kendall's presentation may be viewed by VTC at several locations:
1. OUSD(AT&L) - Pentagon
2. SPAWAR HQ - San Diego, CA
3. SPAWAR Pacific - San Diego, CA
4. SPAWAR Atlantic - Charleston, SC
5. DCMA - Ft. Lee, VA
6. DCMA - Boston, MA
7. NAVAIR - Patuxent River, MD
8. SMC - Los Angeles AFB, CA
9. AFMC - Wright-Patterson AFB, OH
10. DLA - Ft. Belvoir, VA
11. AAC - Eglin AFB, FL
12. MARCORPSYSCOM - Quantico, VA
Mr. Kendall's presentation will also be recorded for future presentation via the BBP website."