Interim Competencies for the 12th IPS Element
- Overview: Interim Information Technology Systems Continuous Support Competency - The following section, Information Technology System Continuous Support, provides the newly redefined Tier 2 competency title, description, and task statements applicable to the Life Cycle Logistics (LCL) community. The initial LCL competency model was developed by DCPAS in 2017, contained eleven technical competencies, and was approved by the LCL community on July 31, 2019. The twelfth technical competency, formerly Computer Resources, was under revision at that time and omitted from the 2019 model.
- Competency Title: Information Technology (IT) Systems Continuous Support
- Competency Description: Identify, plan, resource, and acquire facilities, hardware, software, firmware, documentation, manpower and personnel necessary for planning and conducting lifecycle management of computer hardware and software systems.
- Task Statements:
- 12.A Participate in the information technology and embedded software systems engineering and continuous development process from program inception through disposal to ensure logistics considerations for IT systems and embedded software (i.e. development, capability insertion impacts to logistics products, maintenance, license management, configuration management, etc.) are included.
- 12.B Develop key considerations, inputs and data in support of the product support strategy business case analysis that considers long-term product support of embedded software, associated hardware, software applications, and IT Services (ref DoD Enterprise Service Management Framework), including facilities, infrastructure, continuity of service and standardized IT Service Management (including service desk use, trouble ticket resolution and performance measures) issues."
- 12.C. Apply agile and unified development, security, and operations (DevSecOps) software continuous integration/continuous deployment practices in partnership with engineers to collaboratively manage product support documentation and training in support of operations and troubleshooting/maintenance.
- 12.D Partner with cybersecurity experts to ensure that cybersecurity is addressed early and incorporated into product support solutions throughout the program's life cycle to identify and reduce operational and technical risks.
- 12.E Partner with engineers in order to tailor technical data/license rights acquisition and ensure it is aligned with product support strategies.
- 12.F Partner with the engineers and cybersecurity specialists to collaboratively review contractor supply chain risk management (SCRM) plans as part of the source selection and evaluation criteria process and update over the life cycle.
- 12.G Assess system product support strategies and requirements as weapon systems and mission scenarios evolve and at specific intervals over the system life-cycle.
- 12.H Partner with system architects and engineers to ensure capability support of Cloud Computing sustainment to include network-based storage and compute resources. Provide a detailed enterprise support approach for managing data, infrastructure, and application landscape.
As an added bonus, two related references include the DoD Product Support Manager’s Guidebook, Appendix A and also a LOG Blog post earlier this year entitled Touring Product Support, Element by Element (Part 12).