Life Cycle Logistics: 4Q FY22 in Review, 1Q FY23 Preview
A Look Back: 4th Quarter FY2022 in Review
- Recommended Continuous Learning Opportunities for the LCL Workforce. Our LCL Functional Area Leader, the Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Product Support issued an important new memo dated July 29, 2022 entitled "Recommended Continuous Learning Opportunities for the Life Cycle Logistics (LCL) Functional Area FYs 23-24”. See recent “Recommended Continuous Learning Point Opportunities” DAU LOG Blog for additional details.
- Updated LCL Competencies. Our LCL Functional Area Leader, the Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Product Support also issued a new memorandum dated September 21, 2022 identifying updated life cycle logistics competencies. Details, including a link to the updated competency list are available in a recent DAU LOG Blog post entitled “Updated Life Cycle Logistics Competencies.”
- Defense Acquisition Credentials. Your DAU teammates now offer 44 multi-disciplinary defense acquisition credentials. For information on the September 29, 2022 deployment of our newest and 14th logistics credential, see last week’s DAU LOG Blog entitled “New DAU Product Support Infrastructure Credential”.
- Updated LCL Position Category Description (PCD). Our LCL Functional Area Leader, the Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Product Support approved an updated version of the LCL PCD. The updated version of the LCL PCD is available both from the life cycle logistics section of the Back-to-Basics website and also from the DAU iCatalog.
- 2022 DoD PSM Workshop. The September 13-15, 2022 DoD Product Support Manager’s Workshop was a tremendous success! . Hosted by the DASD(PS), presentations from this high-impact session are available on the ODASD(PS) website.
- Registration Now Open for the 2022 DoD Maintenance Symposium. Registration is now open for the December 12-15, , 2022 DoD Maintenance Symposium. Hosted by the DASD(MR), with a theme of “Next Generation Materiel Readiness Forged through Data Advantage, Technology, and Innovation”, this DoD-sponsored event will be held in person in Orlando, Florida.
- Call for Nominations for the 2022 DoD PBL Awards. Reminder that DoD issued a call for nominations for the annual Secretary of Defense Performance-Based Logistics Awards in a June 13, 2022 Undersecretary of Defense for Acquisition & Sustainment memo entitled “2022 Secretary of Defense Performance Based Logistics Award Nominations”. The submission deadline of November 4, 2022, is fast approaching. Details at “Call for Nominations for the 2022 DoD PBL Awards”.
- Call for Nominations for the 2022 DoD PSM Awards. Reminder also that DoD issued a call for nominations for the Secretary of Defense Product Support Manager Awards in a June 13, 2022 memo entitled “2022 Secretary of Defense Product Support Manager Award Nominations”. The submission deadline of November 4, 2022, is also almost upon us. Details at “Call for Nominations for the 2022 DoD PSM Awards.”
- Call for Nominations for the 2022 DoD DMSMS Awards. DoD issued a call for nominations for the annual DoD DMSMS Award in a June 24, 2022 memorandum entitled “Call for Nominations - 2022 Department of Defense (DOD) Diminishing Manufacturing Sources and Material Shortages (DMSMS) Program Achievement Awards”. Details in a June 29, 2022 DAU LOG Blog post.
- “NAVSUP WSS Secrets of Success” Webcast. With more than 400 attendees, the most recent quarterly offering of the “NAVSUP WSS Secrets to Success” webcast series held Tuesday August 9, 2022. Entitled “NAVSUP WSS Secrets to Success: Supply Chain Transformation Senior Leader Panel”, this event featured the Commander, Naval Supply Systems Command/Chief of Supply Corps, the Commander, Fleet Readiness Centers, Naval Air Systems Command, and the SES Vice Commander, Naval Supply Systems Command Weapon Systems Support. For those who may have missed it, the event recording video is available.
- “Logistics LIVE!” Webcast. The most recent offering of this fast-paced, engaging “Logistics LIVE!” monthly webcast series was held on September 19, 2022 entitled “Logistics LIVE: Digital Product Support - Leadership Perspectives". For those who may have missed it, a video of the event is available from this link.
- “DoD Sustainment Series” Webcast. The most recent quarterly “DoD Sustainment Series” webcast offering, entitled “It's the Law - Sustainment Statutory Framework” was held on August 16, 2022. This virtual event featured the Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Sustainment, and the Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Materiel Readiness, along with a panel focused on the organic industrial base, including Title 10 statutes and reporting requirements related to depot maintenance.
A Look Forward: 1st Quarter FY23 Preview
- FY23 Life Cycle Logistics (LCL) DAWIA Certification Changes. Effective 1 Oct 22, LOG 211V Supportability Analysis joined ACQ 315V Understanding Industry as a “choose-one-of-two” micro-pick-list DAWIA certification training option at the LCL Advanced Tier. Details in a June 9, 2022, Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense (Product Support) memo entitled “Fiscal Year 2023 Life Cycle Logistics Acquisition Functional Area Defense Acquisition Workforce Improvement Act (DAWIA) Certification Requirements” The memo also outlines the criticality of supportability analysis in developing and sustaining supportable and affordable weapon systems.
- New Life Cycle Logistics Credentials. In addition to the 14 currently fielded integrated product support (IPS) element-based life cycle logistics credentials, DAU has one other new credential actively in development that is slated to deploy later this year. Entitled “CLCL 013 Packaging, Handling, Storage & Transportation (PHS&T)”, it will be followed next year by two future FY23 credentials focused on digital product support and supply chain resiliency; both of the latter are currently in initial stages of planning,
- Six Upcoming October DAU Webinars. We have six outstanding product support-focused webinars on the docket this month of potential interest to the DoD LCL workforce including:
- Competing to Win – Forging a Stronger Supply Chain, Tuesday October 4, 2022, 12:30-2:00 pm EDT
- Logistics LIVE: Digital Product Support - Technical Perspectives, Monday October 17, 2022, 2:00-3:00 pm EDT
- On Acquisition: Featuring Dr. Bill LaPlante, Under Secretary of Defense for Acquisition and Sustainment, Tuesday October 18, 2022, 12:30-1:30 pm EDT
- Life Cycle Sustainment Plan: Updated Outline and Development of Data-Driven Product Support Strategies, Thursday October 20, 2022, 11:00 am - 12:30 pm EDT
- Mentoring Moments: Win with your Pen!, Wednesday October 26, 2022, 11:00 am-12:30 pm EDT
- Industry Insights on Effective Data-Driven Product Sustainment, Thursday October 27, 2022, 1:00-2:30 pm EDT
- Four Upcoming Open Mission Assist Workshops. DAU will be offering 4 open mission assist workshops during the first quarter of FY23, including:
- WSL 001V Performance Based Logistics (November 29 – December 1, 2022)
- WSL 002V Provisioning Management (November 1-3, 2022)
- WSL 008V Supply Chain Management (October 18-20, 2022)
- WSL 008V Supply Chain Management (December 6-8, 2022)
Key LCL References & Resources
- DAWIA Certification & Development Guides. DAU iCatalog DAWIA Certification & Development Guides for LCL workforce is readily available and suitable for bookmarking.
- Life Cycle Logistics Workforce Competencies. Reminder that you can access the current LCL competencies by clicking on the word “LCL” under the “Functional Areas” section.
- LCL Functional Area Gateway. Encourage LCL workforce members to bookmark and help promulgate the LCL Functional Area Gateway, a “one-stop-shop” for our workforce to quickly and easily access all DAU LCL training and related resources.
- Current Safety Protocols for Entering DAU Facilities. For the most current information for accessing DAU facilities, visit the “Safety Protocols for Entering DAU Facilities” website.
- Back-to-Basics (BtB) Resources. For detailed information on Back-to-Basics resources, references, and information.
- DAU LOG Blog. Averaging more than two posts daily on current and emerging life cycle logistics, product support, acquisition, industrial base, and sustainment topics, encourage you and your life cycle logistics colleagues to bookmark the DAU LOG Blog website.