Logistics Portfolio Revue Part 11: Key Definitions!
To recap our portfolio review journey to-date, so far we’ve examined:
- Logistics Portfolio Revue Part 1: Training Courses!
- Logistics Portfolio Revue Part 2: OLT Modules!
- Logistics Portfolio Revue Part 3: Mission Assist Workshops!
- Logistics Portfolio Revue Part 4: ACQuipedia!
- Logistics Portfolio Revue Part 5: Communities!
- Logistics Portfolio Revue Part 6: Videos & Podcasts!
- Logistics Portfolio Revue Part 7: Professional Reading!
- Logistics Portfolio Revue Part 8: Guidance Suites!
- Logistics Portfolio Revue Part 9: Job Support Tools!
- Logistics Portfolio Revue Part 10: DAU LOG Blog!
Today, we continue our examination of the area we call “Workflow Learning” by providing access to an important, but perhaps lesser known resource available to the life cycle logistics and product support manager community, namely key definitions in general and key product support definitions in particular.
Let’s start with the general. I would recommend starting with the Joint Staff’s DoD Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms. Next, I’d recommend taking a look at the comprehensive DAU Glossary of Defense Acquisition Acronyms and Terms, a superb reference containing definitions for thousands of key acquisition terms. The latter is so highly regarded, that even DoD Instruction 5000.02 Operation of the Adaptive Acquisition Framework, rather than creating its own glossary of terms, simply indicates “a Glossary of acquisition terms is maintained on the Defense Acquisition University website. The Defense Acquisition University Glossary can be found at https://www.dau.edu/tools/t/DAU-Glossary”.
Zeroing in on product support terminology in particular, virtually all of our DAU ACQuipedia articles (including the 150 life cycle logistics and product support articles) each contain a definition of the term that particular article addresses. Also, as a handy quick reference, your DAU life cycle logistics colleagues have also crafted a concise list of some of the most commonly used product support-related terms along with definitions and sources for each. Encourage you to check out the Product Support Key Definitions site on our DAU Logistics Community of Practice (LOG CoP). These include terms such as:
- Best Value
- Contractor Logistics Support (CLS)
- Core Logistics Analysis
- Diminishing Manufacturing Sources & Material Shortages (DMSMS)
- Integrated Product Support (IPS) Elements
- Interim Contractor Support (ICS)
- Life Cycle Logistics
- Life Cycle Management (LCM)
- Life Cycle Sustainment
- Life Cycle Sustainment Plan (LCSP)
- Logistics Assessment (LA)
- Major Weapon System
- Obsolete Electronic Part
- Operating & Support (O&S)
- Operation & Maintenance (O&M)
- Operations & Support (O&S)
- Performance Based Agreement (PBA)
- Performance Based Logistics (PBL)
- Procurement Unit Cost (PUC)
- Product Improvement
- Product Support
- Product Support Arrangement (PSA)
- Product Support Business Case Analysis (BCA)
- Product Support Business Model (PSBM)
- Product Support Integrator (PSI)
- Product Support Management
- Product Support Manager (PSM)
- Product Support Package (PSP)
- Product Support Provider (PSP)
- Product Support Strategy
- Product Support Strategy Process Model
- Program Acquisition Unit Cost (PAUC)
- Program Manager (PM)
- Public-Private Partnership (PPP)
- Superior Suppliers
- Supply Chain Risk
- Supply Chain Risk Management (SCRM)
- Third-Party Logistics Providers (3PL)
Encourage you to take a few minutes to peruse these no-cost resources as you continue your professional development journey in support of our workforce, our programs, our organizations, our profession, and our warfighters. Also, if there is a term you think is missing or should be added, please do not hesitate to hit the feedback button at the bottom of the Key Product Support Definitions website and let us know.
Next Up: Product Support Manager (PSM) Resources!