New DoD Instruction 4245.15 DMSMS Policy
On, November 5, 2020, the Undersecretary of Defense for Acquisition & Sustainment approved issuance of new DoD Instruction 4245.15 Diminishing Manufacturing Sources and Material Shortages Management, promulgating comprehensive, multi-disciplinary DMSMS management regulations. This new issuance:
- Establishes policy, assigns responsibilities, and prescribes procedures for diminishing manufacturing sources and material shortages (DMSMS) management.
- Implements risk-based, proactive DMSMS management for all DoD materiel, parts, equipment, assemblies, components, material, and software, referred to in this issuance as "DoD items," throughout the life cycle in accordance with the authority in DoD Instructions 4140.01, 5000.02T, 5000.02, 5000.75, 5000.80, 5000.81, 5000.85, and 5000.87.
According to this important new instruction, it is now DoD policy to:
- Establish and implement risk-based, proactive DMSMS management throughout the life cycle of all DoD items.
- Evaluate all DoD system designs and redesigns for potential DMSMS issues that could arise during the life cycle of DoD items.
- Implement resolutions, if necessary, to minimize or eliminate risks and negative impacts (e.g., cost, schedule delays, readiness) resulting from DMSMS issues throughout the life cycle of DoD items.
- Implement improvements to DMSMS management processes throughout the life cycle of all DoD items across the DoD enterprise.
Key highlights include:
- Designating the Assistant Secretary of Defense for Sustainment as the principal for DMSMS management within DoD
- Requiring the Defense Contract Management Agency to develop and implement a surveillance process to report the performance of contractors' DMSMS management activities and identify risks to DoD customers as authorized by contract
- Directing Component Heads to establish DMSMS management metrics and internal reporting requirements to reduce cost and improve efficiency
- Mandating that program offices and other DMSMS performing organizations develop and maintain a DMSMS Management Plan to document proactive, risk-based DMSMS management processes
Additionally, a range of related supporting resources are also available, including:
Related Standards & Guidebooks
- SD-19 Parts Management Guide
- SD-26 DMSMS Contract Language Guidebook
- SD-22 DMSMS: A Guidebook of Best Practices for Implementing a Robust DMSMS Management Program
- MIL-STD-3018 Parts Management
- IEC 62402 Obsolescence Management
- SAE STD 0016 Standard for Prepared a DMSMS Management Plan
Related Professional Development Resources
- DMSMS Knowledge Sharing Portal (DKSP)
- Parts Management Knowledge Sharing Portal (PMKSP)
- DMSMS Contracting Job Support Tool
- DMSMS ACQuipedia Article
- Parts Management ACQuipedia Article
- GIDEP ACQuipedia Article
Related Online Training Courses