A New DoD Supply Chain Materiel Management Manual
For those who may not have already seen it, the department issued a newly updated, and newly retitled DoD Manual 4140.01, Volume 12 “DoD Supply Chain Materiel Management Procedures: Enterprise Logistics Decisions”. According to the front matter, “…this manual is composed of several volumes, each containing its own purpose. In accordance with the authority in DoD Directive 5135.02 and DoD Instruction 4140.01, This manual:
- Implements policy, assigns responsibilities, and provides procedures for DoD materiel managers and others who work within or with the DoD supply system.
- Establishes standard terminology for use in DoD supply chain materiel management.
This volume establishes the enterprise logistics decision making framework across the DoD Components for
- Sales and operations planning (S&OP)
- The integrated materiel manager or single manager for item management of each interchangeable and substitutable (I&S) item, I&S master item, and I&S family.
- The I&S families of national stock number (NSN) items.
- The master item for each I&S family and the assignment of NSN items to an I&S family.”