Summer 2022 Logistics Review, Fall 2022 Preview
Albeit a bit lengthy, as a public service, permit me to provide a synopsis of high-impact current topics of potential interest to the DoD life cycle logistics workforce – both a quick look back and a real-time look ahead:
A Look Back: Summer 2022 in Review
- Recommended Continuous Learning Opportunities for the LCL Workforce. Our LCL Functional Area Leader, the Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Product Support has issued an important new memo dated July 29, 2022 entitled "Recommended Continuous Learning Opportunities for the Life Cycle Logistics (LCL) Functional Area FYs 23-24”. See recent “Recommended Continuous Learning Point Opportunities” DAU LOG Blog for additional details.
- Updated LCL Position Category Description (PCD). Our LCL Functional Area Leader, the Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Product Support approved an updated version of the LCL PCD The updated version of the LCL PCD is available both from the life cycle logistics section of the Back-to-Basics website and also from the DAU iCatalog.
- Defense Acquisition Credentials. Your DAU teammates now offer 42 multi-disciplinary defense acquisition credentials. For information on the August 10, 2022 deployment of our 13th IPS Element-based life cycle logistics credential, “CLCL 008 Product Support Arrangements” encourage you to visit recent DAU LOG Blog post entitled “New Product Support Arrangements Credential.”
- 2022 DoD PSM Workshop Fast Approaching. Registration is now open for the September 13-15, 2022 DoD Product Support Manager’s Workshop . Hosted by the DASD(PS), this high-impact event will be presented in a hybrid format, offering participants the option to attend either in-person at the General Jacob E. Smart Conference Center on Joint Base Andrews, Maryland or virtually. Participants can register directly from the register link on the ODASD(PS) PSM Workshop website by clicking on the register button.
- Registration Now Open for the 2022 DoD Maintenance Symposium. Registration is now open for the December 12-15, 2022 DoD Maintenance Symposium. Hosted by the DASD(MR), with a theme of “Next Generation Materiel Readiness Forged through Data Advantage, Technology, and Innovation”, this DoD-sponsored event will be held in person in Orlando, Florida.
- Call for Nominations for the 2022 DoD PBL Awards. Reminder that DoD issued a call for nominations for the annual Secretary of Defense Performance-Based Logistics Awards in a June 13, 2022 Undersecretary of Defense for Acquisition & Sustainment memo entitled “2022 Secretary of Defense Performance Based Logistics Award Nominations”. The submission deadline is November 4, 2022. Details at “Call for Nominations for the 2022 DoD PBL Awards”.
- Call for Nominations for the 2022 DoD PSM Awards. Reminder also that DoD issued a call for nominations for the Secretary of Defense Product Support Manager Awards in a June 13, 2022 memo entitled “2022 Secretary of Defense Product Support Manager Award Nominations”. The submission deadline is November 4, 2022. Details at “Call for Nominations for the 2022 DoD PSM Awards.”
- Call for Nominations for the 2022 DoD DMSMS Awards. DoD issued a call for nominations for the annual DoD DMSMS Award in a June 24, 2022 memorandum entitled “Call for Nominations - 2022 Department of Defense (DOD) Diminishing Manufacturing Sources and Material Shortages (DMSMS) Program Achievement Awards”. Details in a June 29, 2022 DAU LOG Blog post.
- “NAVSUP WSS Secrets of Success” Webcast. With more than 400 attendees, the most recent quarterly offering of the “NAVSUP WSS Secrets to Success” webcast series held Tuesday August 9, 2022. Entitled “NAVSUP WSS Secrets to Success: Supply Chain Transformation Senior Leader Panel”, this event featured the Commander, Naval Supply Systems Command/Chief of Supply Corps, the Commander, Fleet Readiness Centers, Naval Air Systems Command, and the SES Vice Commander, Naval Supply Systems Command Weapon Systems Support. For those who may have missed it, the event recording video is available.
- “Logistics LIVE!” Webcast. The most recent offering of this fast-paced, engaging “Logistics LIVE!” monthly webcast series was held on August 15, 2022 entitled “Logistics LIVE: Product Support Manager Guidebook”; a video of the event is available from this link.
- “DoD Sustainment Series” Webcast. The most recent quarterly “DoD Sustainment Series” webcast offering, entitled “It's the Law - Sustainment Statutory Framework” was held on August 16, 2022. This virtual event featured the Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Sustainment, and the Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Materiel Readiness, along with a panel focused on the organic industrial base, including Title 10 statutes and reporting requirements related to depot maintenance.
- ACE Credit Review of three DAU Logistics Learning Assets. The American Council on Education (ACE) College Credit Recommendation Service (CREDIT®) recently completed their review of two Life Cycle Logistics Advanced Tier DAWIA certification courses, along with the first-ever review of a Defense Acquisition Credential. The results were impressive, with ACE recommending 3 upper-division undergraduate semester hours for LOG 3400/V Life Cycle Product Support, 3 graduate-level semester hours for LOG 3500/V Enterprise Life Cycle Logistics Management capstone course, and 3 lower-division undergraduate semester hours for CLCL 002 Integrated Product Support Credential. See DAU LOG Blog “ACE Credit for CLCL 002, LOG 3400, LOG 3500 Training” for additional details.
A Look Forward: Fall 2022 Preview
- FY23 Life Cycle Logistics (LCL) DAWIA Certification Changes. Effective 1 Oct 22, LOG 211V Supportability Analysis will join ACQ 315V Understanding Industry as a “choose-one-of-two” micro-pick-list DAWIA certification training option at the LCL Advanced Tier. Details in a June 9, 2022, Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense (Product Support) memo entitled “Fiscal Year 2023 Life Cycle Logistics Acquisition Functional Area Defense Acquisition Workforce Improvement Act (DAWIA) Certification Requirements” The memo also outlines the criticality of supportability analysis in developing and sustaining supportable and affordable weapon systems.
- New Life Cycle Logistics Credentials. In addition to the 13 currently fielded integrated product support (IPS) element-based life cycle logistics credentials, two other credentials are actively in development and slated to deploy later this year entitled “CLCL 015 Product Support Infrastructure” and CLCL 013 Packaging, Handling, Storage & Transportation (PHS&T)”. Additionally, future FY23 credentials focused on digital product support and supply chain resiliency are currently in initial stages of planning,
- Next “Mentoring Moments” Webinar. The next bi-monthly DASD(PS)-led “Mentoring Moments” webinar, entitled “Mentoring Moments: Up Your Logistics Game for the Future” is scheduled for Wednesday August 31, 2022 from 11:00 am – 12:30 pm EDT. This event will feature the Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Product Support, the Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Sustainment, the Director of Resource Integration, Deputy Chief of Staff for Logistics, Engineering, and Force Protection, U.S. Air Force, the Director, Maintenance Programs & Policy, HQ Department of the Army G-4, and the Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Logistics.
- Next “Logistics LIVE” Webinar. The next monthly “Logistics LIVE” webinar, entitled “Logistics LIVE: Digital Product Support - Leadership Perspectives” is scheduled for Monday September 19, 2022 from 2:00-3:00 pm EDT. This event will feature an LCL News segment, two special guest speakers focused on Digital Product Support, and a forum to discuss whatever is on your mind in Product Support.
- Next “Forging a Stronger Supply Chain” Webinar. Mark your calendars for the upcoming “Competing to Win -Forging a Stronger Supply Chain” webinar scheduled for Tuesday October 4, 2022 from 12:30 – 2:00 pm EDT.
- Four Upcoming Open Mission Assist Workshops. DAU will be offering 4 open mission assist workshops during the first quarter of FY23, including:
- WSL 001V Performance Based Logistics (November 29 – December 1, 2022)
- WSL 002V Provisioning Management (November 1-3, 2022)
- WSL 008V Supply Chain Management (October 18-20, 2022)
- WSL 008V Supply Chain Management (December 6-8, 2022)
Key LCL References & Resources
- DAWIA Certification & Development Guides. DAU iCatalog DAWIA Certification & Development Guides for LCL workforce is readily available and suitable for bookmarking.
- Life Cycle Logistics Workforce Competencies. Reminder that you can access the current LCL competencies by clicking on the word “LCL” under the “Functional Areas” section.
- LCL Functional Area Gateway. Encourage LCL workforce members to bookmark and help promulgate the LCL Functional Area Gateway, a “one-stop-shop” for our workforce to quickly and easily access all DAU LCL training and related resources.
- Current Safety Protocols for Entering DAU Facilities. For the most current information for accessing DAU facilities, visit the “Safety Protocols for Entering DAU Facilities” website.
- Back-to-Basics (BtB) Resources. For detailed information on Back-to-Basics resources, references, and information.
- DAU LOG Blog. Averaging more than two posts daily on current and emerging life cycle logistics, product support, acquisition, industrial base, and sustainment topics, encourage you and your life cycle logistics colleagues to bookmark the DAU LOG Blog website.