Sustainment Factors in Weapon System Design Memorandum
The memo goes on to state that the "...policy is applicable to solicitations and award of contracts for weapon systems issued on or after December 12, 2018 and requires the PM for weapons systems to ensure that:
- Measureable requirements for engineering activities and design specifications for R&M are included in TMRR, EMD and Production solicitations. The PM must justify in writing a determination to exclude engineering activities and design specifications for R&M from the solicitation and must also document the decision in the program acquisition strategy
- Sustainment factors, including R&M, are given ample emphasis in the process for source selection. Use of objective R&M criteria in the evaluation of competitive proposals is encouraged.
- Performance measures are developed using best practices for responding to the positive or negative contractor performance in meeting the sustainment requirements of a weapon system in all EMD and Production contracts.
- The use of incentive fees and penalties (as appropriate) to incentivize achievement of design specification requirements for R&M in all EMD and Production solicitations and contracts is encouraged.
- Base determinations of contractor performance on R&M data collected during the program for an EMD and Production contract and that, to the maximum extent practicable, such data shall be shared with appropriate contractor and government organizations.”