This two-week post-advanced tier (formerly Level III) virtual instructor-led training (VILT) for ACAT I/II DoD PSMs focuses on enhancing a PSM’s success in planning for and executing fielding and sustainment of major weapon systems within the framework of 10 U.S.C. §4324 & DoD policy:
- Addresses PSM roles & responsibilities, leadership, proven practices, affordable/effective product support strategies, and enables leveraging of executive-level case studies to challenge PSMs with real-world product support scenarios.
- Includes facilitated discussions on product support topics such as as Intellectual Property Rights, funding, partnerships, sustainment plans, product support analysis, contracts, and performance-based logistics.
Participants also analyze challenges and opportunities to improve sustainment performance while reducing costs and risks. Customized tools are leveraged for enhancing skills at leading teams, influencing stakeholders and continuing professional development. Students develop and defend creative and comprehensive solutions, as well as leverage the Stakeholder Tactical Engagement Plan (STEP) tool to develop strategies to address stakeholder challenges. Students also develop and deliver a real-world, relevant lesson-learned presentation which provides opportunities for peer feedback, and in-depth cross-Service communication & problem-solving. Course affords students the opportunity to hear from a range of DoD, Service, and industry leaders in each offering, with frank and candid discussion on a wide range of sustainment challenges. Interdisciplinary emphasis includes product support, business, cost estimating, funds management, systems engineering, contracting, and program management topics. Focus areas also include leadership, critical thinking, and cross-functional integration.
REQUIRED PREREQUISITESSee "Notes" section of this course's concept card for additional prerequisites.
Product Support Managers (PSM) and other attendees as described in "DoD PSM Mandatory Training Requirement Memo, 10 April 2023, "<a href='https://www.dau.edu/cop/log/_layouts/15/WopiFrame.aspx?sourcedoc=/cop/l… color='#003399'; size=2>DoD PSM Mandatory Training Requirement Memo</a>"
OBJECTIVEDownload Course Objectives
- Mandatory for ACAT I and II PSMs within 24 months of assignment to PSM position
- ACAT III and IV PSMs may attend as lower priority
- Defense Acquisition Personnel in PSM-related positions (LCL Advanced and acquisition coded) may attend as lower priority
- Recommend completing LOG 3400 (Life Cycle Product Support) and LOG 3500 (Enterprise Life Cycle Logistics Management) prior to attending
- Challenging, two-week executive-level course which incorporates cases, exercises, and group discussions as well as individual development efforts
- Designed for highly motivated, experienced PSMs as well as individuals pre-qualified to attend IAW the "DoD PSM Mandatory Training Requirement Memo, 10 April 2023"
- All attendees must be vetted by their Services for participation in this course.
- Virtual classes are conducted via MS Teams
- All times are in the local time zone of the DAU region assigned to teach the offering.
- Students are required to test connectivity with DAU IT prior to the class start date.
- DAU does not reimburse student phone/internet charges.
- The CLPs assigned to this learning activity may be used to meet professional certification and/or licensure requirements (PDUs/CPE credits).