According to the Cortona3D website, “quality product documentation is vital to your organization’s success and critical for your customers, suppliers, distributors and employees. The key to effective product documentation for complex equipment is integrated 3D communications. Whether it’s for maintenance, customer support, operational procedures or training, 3D communications provide intuitive, knowledge transfer, that users ‘get’ easily. However, traditional product documentation methods are error prone, costly and slow. Cortona3D RapidAuthor is a powerful cost-effective authoring suite giving organizations the flexibility to produce all support documentation such as interactive Parts Catalogs, Maintenance Manuals, Training Materials and Work Instructions. The tools included in the suite enable organizations to reuse existing CAD data or other 3D source material, to author interactive 3D visualizations for more effective support documentation, dramatically reducing effort and timelines. Its intuitive interface enables users with no 3D expertise to create compelling simulations and associated text simultaneously. Tools in the suite include:
- RapidManual - This tool provides an easy to use intuitive framework that allows authors to easily create 3D digital interactive maintenance and operation manuals. RapidManual uses animated 3D simulations to clearly communicate complex mechanical procedures. Using existing 3D data speeds-up product documentation development and results in better product manuals at a fraction of the cost. 3D manuals encourage ‘Visual Know-How’ rather than reading comprehension, minimizing translation issues and improving information retention.
- RapidCatalog -This tool produces digital, interactive illustrated parts catalogs that use 3D ‘explosions’ to illustrate complex mechanical assemblies. Its interactive 3D environment with drill down navigation improves the user experience and puts an end to ordering and purchasing errors. It cuts catalog production costs by reusing existing CAD data and produces a better parts catalog that, in turn, reduces the number of customer support inquiries.
- RapidLearning - This tool combines existing CAD assets with training documentation to produce digital, interactive training applications that use animated 3D simulations. These can be used as standalone applications or integrated with existing SCORM-compliant Learning Management Systems. Research has proven time and again that interactive 3D learning improves comprehension, retention and on-the-job performance and costs less than product mockups, physical simulations, and other active learning approaches.
- RapidWorkInstruction - This specification component enables the fast and easy production of digital interactive work instructions, job cards and assembly instructions. It re-uses content directly from engineering CAD enabling the rapid creation of the MBOM and bill of process. Manufacturing engineers can quickly and easily create 3D animations ensuring that assembly workers, even in off-shore locations, know what to do and how to do it – a visual explanation delivered in a work instruction saves time and increases effectiveness.
- Cortona2D Editor Pro - Cortona2D Editor Pro is a graphics editor that supports the creation, modification, and rendering of layered graphic primitives (ellipse, polygon, spline, bitmap, raster). This editor allows authors and illustrators to edit legacy graphics or manually edit 2D graphics created with Cortona3D RapidAuthor.”
Integrated Product Support Elements AddressedDepartments Associated
- Navy / Marine Corps
- Air Force
This product support analytical tool was identified as part of a database provided solely to assist defense acquisition workforce professionals to identify best value product support solutions which optimize system readiness and life cycle cost. Neither the Department of Defense or the Defense Acquisition University provide any warranty of these tools whatsoever, whether express, implied, or statutory, including, but not limited to, any warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose or any warranty that the contents of the item will be error-free. This analytical tools database should under no circumstances be considered as being all-encompassing, and is in no-wise meant to endorse the capabilities or products of any particular individual, company, or organization.